Saturday, December 02, 2006

It seems so long since I have written an entry. I am so sorry to keep ya'll out of my life. I had no idea it has been so long. So let me catch ya'll up.

My theory classes for cuisine and patisserie are finally over. My last class was on Friday. It was an easy test, about working with diversity. I'm pretty sure I aced that one. The theory course has been pretty easy. It talks about hygiene, customer service, working with colleague's and working within a diverse environment. It is a two hour course once a week. It was very boring, but it is a requirement, unfortunately. I found out too late that I could have bypassed all these theory classes, through the college courses I took. Damn. Oh well. I guess it was a good thing to go over all the nonsense.

Classes have been going well. Just cooking, nothing else. In cuisine I have made beef, potatoes, homemade pasta with tomato and basil sauce, chicken dishes, Nicoise salad, lamb and sweet souffles. Plus so much turning of vegetables. Turning is a position cut, old fashion....old five star restaurants would do these cuts, it is not very popular to do anymore. Because it is a pain in the ass - the shape is a barrel with 6 to 9 sides. But I can do it now!

In patisserie we have made so many baked goods. It starts with breads, then croissants that are plain and filled with sweet and savory fillings, moving on to brioche filled with dark chocolate, butter cream cakes and finally cheesecakes. It has been a busy couple of weeks.

Yesterday, Saturday December 2nd, we made cheesecakes in patisserie class. I was running late to school. I was just tired. I got to school 45 minutes late, but chef Karen did not care. I got done first anyways. But on the way out of the refrigerator, my baked cheesecake fell out of hands and landed on the floor. Usually I would be upset, but I wasn't. I was fine about it. I think it was because I was so damn tired. For some reason school is taking so much out of me. I go to school from 8 until 2:30, only 6 and half hours. Some of the time we work, but mostly watch the chefs demo our lessons. Yet it takes so much out of me. When I am at home and working, I find it so much easier.

Two years ago, I returned home, instead of going back to college, because my internship at Disney was not all it was cracked up to be. I decided to work and work I did. I worked three jobs - Amano (retail, something I will never do again, if I can help it), Iz Too (bakery work, where I have been for the last four years) and Cafe Iz Catering. I worked full time at Amano and another 30 or so hours between catering and bakery work. I was tired, but nothing compared to what I feel now going to school for about 7 hours a day. I don't understand it. Does anyone? Oh well.

The upcoming week is going to be busy. I am in the home stretch. Tuesday is my cuisine practical. It is my final assessment, cooking beef consomme, lamb, ratatouille, chateau potatoes, and creme caramels. I have four hours to prep, cook and serve the meal to my chef and the assessor. On Thursday, I have the cuisine theory exam (different from the class I have been taking. This is the overall theory from the whole cuisine course). Friday and Saturday I have my patisserie practical. It is my final assessment for patisserie. Friday I have four hours to present 10 coffee eclairs, and two different kinds of puff pastry which will be finished the next day. Saturday, again in four hours, I will present a fruit flan, vol au vents and 10 palmiers. Then patisserie will be over with. Cuisine still has another three days left - I might be skipping out on it, if possible!

So my hell week is about to start, but it will be fulfilling and worth while. I just hope I pass and I don't freak out too much when the time comes. My stay here in Australia is just about over. It has been an interesting couple of months. I have been able to meet some amazing chefs and colorful people while attending Le Cordon Bleu Australia. I just hope Le Cordon Bleu Paris will be different and better! Hopefully I will be seeing ya'll soon. Until then wish me luck with finals, take care and happy holidays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello love!

I've really enjoyed reading your blog and hearing about your adventures. And just reading your descriptions of the stuff you make- they sound delicious! I can't wait to hear how Paris goes and hopefully see you over the holidays? Keep in touch, and good luck with finals!