Thursday, December 14, 2006

I find traveling an adventure in itself. It truly is. Think about it, just the time difference from one place to another. We have it here in the United States, time change, from the East Coast to the West Coast. At times the time difference is mind boggling. I left today, Wednesday, the 13th from Australia and arrived home in Birmingham the same day, but I traveled a total of 23 hours. So weird!

I find traveling a tad annoying at times as well. You have to face long hours on a plane, all cramped up if you are not able to spring for business class or the first class cabin. In economy class you share a row with about two or three other people. It is not a pretty sight. There are tall people, short people, people who are slightly larger than you and those who are thinner then you (as most wish they were). The space back there in the economy place is sparse at best described. There are babies crying, kids kicking your seat and that one annoying person who always seems to sit right beside you, smacking gum or their food. Traveling is an adventure in itself. I have to remind myself of this.

I have been very fortunate to be able to travel all around the world. Most of my flights to and from these places have been so easy. A breeze if you will, to check in, get my ticket, drop off my bags and go to my gate to greet my flight. In the past year my flights have not been so pleasant. Case in point, spring break 2006. I went to Ireland with two girlfriends from college. It was a blast, but the flight getting there was not a fun adventure! We waited on the runway for an hour, just sitting, before we were allowed off the plane in Chicago to get to our other gate - the connecting flight to Dublin, Ireland. We ran, the gate just closed. We were not allowed to board. We were stranded in Chicago for the night. Not a happy camper.

The fun just keeps on coming, when I try to travel back home. The adventure never stops until you are actually home. Trying to come home early I changed my flight about two more times from the original flight. I was to leave from Sydney at 12:05 - I thought it was at right after midnight. It wasn't. The plane left at five after noon. I was in trouble. It was 9 at night, I was at the airport with three of my friends from the program and in trouble...I was not going home on Tuesday. I had to rebook my flight and stay another night in Sydney. I was going home on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, Sydney time, I finally got to the airport. I was checked in about 20 minutes before the flight left - a very long line and only three or four workers on the counter to check people in. I got to the flight on time though, boarded on time. Everything was fine. My seat was in the middle of the row and in the middle seat. There was no wiggle room. But since I was short I figured out a way to sleep, for about an hour, on the 13 and a half hour plane ride. The rest of the time I watched movies and ate the two meals they gave us.

Los Angeles was not eventful. It was actually very easy. I was able to rebook my flight home from LA to Dallas to Birmingham. It was just a long layover in LA, but well worth it. I got something to eat and a very large coffee. Then I was on my way home. Again, a very full flight to Dallas. The couple behind me had a small child. She liked to yell at a very high pitch every so often along with a small kick. It was a great plane ride. I tried to sleep as much as I could. The flight to Birmingham was less full, I was able to spread out a touch to sleep for about an hour. The only real headache from this whole trip was the long plane ride from Sydney to LA and missing the whole flight all together. Morale of the story: read your ticked properly and remember international flights run on a 24 hours clock. Very important piece of information.

My journey through Australia and New Zealand have come to an end. It was a great journey and adventure. I learned so much about myself and my passion for cooking/baking. It was a great experience! Now to await for the next adventure in Paris....here I come.

No comments: