Monday, December 04, 2006

I thought that I would write a quick blog update.

Monday I made omelettes, for an hour. It was good. My first omelette was almost perfect, just gotta work on the shape of it. I finally got it, a perfect one. Sorry my omelette story is not as good as my uncle Webb's. But it was a good day.

Today I had my cuisine final. I got to school before 7:30, to relax and collect myself. I changed into my fresh, clean, pressed cloths, something I have not done since the beginning of school - pressing is overrated. We got into the kitchen by 8:00. We got to set up, gathering pots and pans and just making sure we had everything we needed. Then at 8:30 we were given out ingredients. The cooking began!

Plating began at 11:30 with the beef consomme and julienne carrots, leeks and celery. at 12:00 I served the rack of lamb with parsley crust, chateau potatoes and ratatouille. Then finally at 12:30 the creme caramel with creme Chantilly was plated and served. The chef said after class that my dishes were wonderful, beautiful. Chef Jacky told me that my creme caramel was perfect, the best.

I thought that my food was good. The consomme was ok. It was a little greasy, I thought. The plate too hot. The lamb was a little too medium, not medium rare. The sauce needed to be strained again. The potato, a little smaller and a little lighter. The creme caramel - perfect.

All that really matters is that I passed. I got good reviews by the chefs. There were a few people who have to redo their desserts. If I was grading myself, I would give me a B, maybe a B-. But we will have to wait to see my grade.

I'll keep ya'll updated on the next few days - cuisine theory exam and two days of finals in patisserie!

No comments: