Saturday, October 28, 2006

This past week has been very...well Great. Cuisine is shaping up to be something better than it was in the beginning first weeks. The pace of the kitchen is heating up, moving faster and more of challenge to get the dishes to the chef on time. It is exciting and just fun.

Tuesday's class we presented two dishes. This is the first time I was not on time to present, but then again, no one in my class presented their dishes on time. The first dish was Pommes Gaufrettes - lattice potatoes. I got these to the chef on time. He loved them, saying they were good color and good seasoning. Then on to the real dish - rack of lamb with a parsley crust, ratatouille and anna potatoes. I was a little late in serving, but received a high mark. He said the lamb was cooked perfectly and the ratatouille was right on mark. The anna potatoes could use a little more salt, but overall a great dish. YEAH. I was happy with the result and I devoured the plate after the evaluating.

Wednesday class was even better. We had a different chef, again, like every other day this week. Again, two dishes were prepared and served to the chef, but I was late in serving just like everyone else. The first dish was grilled chicken with a warm salad. Chef said it was done just great. The amount was perfect, the bacon was crispy, the dressing was perfect, not too caked on. He loved it, perfect portion size. Then it was time for the main course, chicken saute chasseur and rice pilaff. He said that he could not have cooked a more perfect chicken. He loved my dish. I was so happy. He also remarked that I had impeccable bench work - meaning, I kept a clean work space. I was a happy girl.

For the next three days, in patisserie we have been busy with chocolate. It has been so fun! We have been molding, making fillings and playing. I have turned out so many little chocolates, I wish ya'll were here so I could feed ya'll. Today, though, was the best day. My teacher/chef, Karen, is just really cool. After doing some molding and after lunch, she took me to superior patisserie so I could watch the students doing chocolate show pieces. It was so cool - one day I will do that. I love working with chocolate, but I get it all over me. A minor problem. Today was great and the other two days of working with chocolate.

After class today, I also got to go intermediate cuisine, to just watch. Chef Karen introduced me to the chef who teaches cuisine. I got to go in and just watch. I asked the chef questions and soaked up everything I could. It was so cool. I am glad that I am taking these two courses. It will be worth my wait. I just have to stick it out for a few more weeks in basic. Atleast I know what is in store for me in the future...sometimes you have to do things you don't like in life to get to the good things in life...this is one of my things I don't like doing in order to get to the good part in life. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great week!!! I'm sorry I wasn't there to help with the chocolate. I'll be glad to help when you return home. I just taped "Sugar Rush" for you. They were veeerrry creative with chocolate today. They painted with melted spices....I love it!!!
I'm proud of you for hanging in there. Obviously, you made the right choice. Yeeeeeaaaa Laura!!!!!!!!
mom