Monday, October 23, 2006

I can't figure out how to upload pictures onto my blog. Sorry. I am still going to work on it, maybe soon it will happen.

I have been in classes for two weeks in cuisine and three weeks for patisserie. In this time, I have learned some and done lots and woken up extremely early. I think it takes a good two weeks for things to fall into place. For the first two weeks in both cuisine and patisserie it was as if I was stupid when I walked into the kitchens. Cake baking, cookie baking, baking tarts, baking bread, sauteing, cutting and what not was just hard to do. It was as if when I stepped into the kitchen I went stupid. My mind went blank and I could not think. After the past two weeks, I have finally gotten into a groove and found my place in the kitchen, both kitchens. It is great. I am beginning to like cuisine more.

Today was the first day that we had to present our food and it got tasted. We made two different products: Octopus salad and Calf's Liver with two sides. The first was to be presented at 12:30 and the latter at 1:00. It went swimmingly. There were no hiccups and I got good marks. The teacher took my salad plate to show to the class. I was happy with my presentation, but I did not taste the food. Octopus was not fresh, frozen...and just not my cup of tea. It was sauted and plated with a mix green salad with an olive dressing. The second presentation was pan fried calf's liver, bacon on top, buttered spinach and fried onion rings. I loved the onion rings!

In demo today, I got to help the chef. I helped with the prep work - cutting, mincing and whatever else he needed help with. It was a slow lecture, not much for me to do, but that was okay with me, since it was so early. When the demo was over, we get to try the food. I did try the liver. It was chewy and very different texture...not liking it so much. I did try it though. Charles, this is for you....I tried it, I don't like it. But I know how to make it for you, if you want it.

In every class you have those type of people who just bug the hell out of you and others who are just over-achievers. I have both of those type of people in my class. Hopefully the bugging part will go away soon. I eaves dropped during our evaluation, and I got better scores than them. Is that wrong to do? I don't care. Things are going smoothly right now. Things will be picking up soon. The heat and adrenaline will begin to pick up soon, just like a real kitchen. Hmmm...

No comments: