Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Birthday Bea! Another year older, another year wiser...atleast that is how the saying goes.

October 9th marks the first day of basic cuisine. I was up by 6:30 and went to school. Class began at 7:30. I thought I had everything with me: my coat, pants, hat, etc...but I forgot my buttons. Stupid! However, I was saved by a girl who gave me her extra buttons. Thank you! It saved me. Then class began by 7:30. Dressed in our uniform, about 40 of us gathered in kitchen 15, the demo kitchen. Here we watch chef go over what we are to do for today's lesson. First we had to go over all the procedures of safety and cleaning - pretty borning, something I have already done, with basic patisserie. Oh well, you can never hear it enough.

Then at 10:30 my day actually begun. We got to go to the kitchens to begin our lessons. It was all about knife work today. I tried to go slow, to take my time, to not rush through anything and not be the first one done. I wasn't. I was the second. A guy beat me. We worked on knife cuts, julienne (match stick), paysanne (shapes), brunoise (small dice) and so on. We also had to make a concassee (chopped up tomato), garlic done in three ways and herbs. It was kinda boring, but I got to work on my knife skills, always a good thing.

Class was over by 2, when class ends. I went to change and begin my walk home. On my way I decided to treat myself to ice cream and look around the shops in the shopping center. Then home to go to sleep for an hour or so, so I can watch Grey's Anatomy tonight. So sad I know...but I've gotten into the show now. So sleep in the afternoon still allows me to wake up tomorrow not so sleepy. The things we do.

I think that my fears of not being able to do both cuisine and patisserie are now layed down to rest. I know I will be able to do them both. It will be hard, I just have to sleep and do alot of washing. Two uniforms for six days. But I can do it. I am determined. So now on to some dinner and Grey's Anatomy...then repeating my cycle of my new life. Talk to ya'll soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura, Just discovered your blog through your Dad's page. Good reading! Does this mean you will be chef at the next reunion? :)
Love,
Cousin Beth