Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hey everyone! I just found out how to read all the comments posted by people...sorry it took me so long. Thanks for all the good wishes and what not. It helps. Since the last time we talked, well since I wrote, things have been better with a hint of bad. I have almost finished the second week of cuisine and it is ok. I haven't done anything too terrible...yet. We made tarts on Monday and today a pizza. Tomorrow we make puff pastry (the flaky layers of pastry), yumm! I think I am going to hang in there with this stuff, after all I know I can do it!

Patisserie is going well also. We have made so many cakes and tarts in there. It is crazy. My room is overflowing with food, mostly sweets. I think I have been getting good marks for my products...impressing the chefs a little, with my precision in cutting (both in cuisine and patisserie) and just now having fun. I am taking my time and trying to be a little more careful. I think this helps with my nervous.

On Thursday's, I have to stay until 5 to do another course, about hygiene and safety. It is a complete bore...since I have had this pounded into my head since the beginning of college. But we had our first test last Thursday, so I am anxiously awaiting the test results...I will let you know how I did, soon.

After six days of working in hot kitchens, it can be a little taxing on you, so I basically just sleep when I get home, after a little dinner and some tv, depending on the night. Daddy just sent my computer, so now I will be able to watch DVD's and hopefully use the computer from my room, instead of paying $2 where I am staying or staying after class to use the campus's computer's.

Life is going pretty well. Sunday is my day of rest. I sleep in late, then wake up to go grocery shopping and clean my room and of course do laundry. It is a pretty simple routine, but it seems to be going well. There hasn't been any real mess-ups in the kitchens yet, knock on wood, but I think I'm gonna like it here.

On a sadder note, I found out yesterday that a good friend of mine was in a car accident and died from the injuries he received. Joseph Elliot Haskins died on October 1, 2006. He had such a passion for food and life and would have been even greater if given the chance. I am glad that I got to meet him and learn a little something about his passion from him.


Life must go on and that is what I am trying to do here. I admit it is a little hard to go into a kitchen and not think about him, but I use that and push forward. He would have wanted people to live and do what they were passionate about. It makes you stop and think about your own life and ask yourself, "Am I doing what I really want to be doing?", "Am I happy"....the answers for me is all one hundred percent "YES". I hope you are too.

Cheers from down under - Laura

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Laur!
When you're stressed out just remember that hunk of a man that would get us through the day...Mr. Pemberton. It's so incredible to see that you finally doing what you want to do.
Miss you!
Melinda

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, I can't stand it!
For whatever reason, it was Joe's time to go....I never will figure that one out..but he would love to know that his passion pushes you. To this day (after 28 years) my brother's life continues to push me. Honor Joe with your own life. That is how our loved ones live on.
I love you, Mom