Friday, September 29, 2006

So Monday (September 25) I spent in the airports and airplanes of Australia and New Zealand. It was not fun. Of course my plan gets delayed in Auckland for like an hour, so we were late arriving in Christchurch. I was picked up from my hotel at 4;30 in the morning. I departed Cairns at 5;30, arrived Brisbane and left at 9:50 to only arrive in Auckland at 2:50. For the nest three or four hours I spent reading and trying to pass time in the airport. I finally left Auckland around 7 to arrive in Christchurch. The time zone changed again, so I was so messed up. I think New Zealand runs three hours ahead of what I was used to, well actually three and a half hours. I hate time.

So I got to my hotel, which was so nice, and then went to find dinner. I had the best dinner yet. A wonderful soup and of course New Zealand rack of lamb...so yummy. Then I went back to my hotel to chill out and finally get a nice sleep.

The next day (September 26) was great. I had a late tour, which began at 1:30. I got to sleep for a bit, actually I slept like I usually do at home. So I woke up just in time to get my bus. The bus was filled with one other person and the guide, so a whopping grand total of three to tour for about 3 hours. The tour was ok. Nothing too exciting, except that I found out how I was going to get to Antartica now, but boat which leaves from here!

I got back to the hotel in time to shower and get ready to go out with a New Zealand family. Actually the original family's father got sick, so I went to dinner with the lady who organizes it all. Her house was wonderful. Mom, you would have loved it. Fresh roses everywhere, a nice garden and the best part, a garden that grew 19 different vegetables, from beans to root vegetables. It was great.

Dinner was even better - a garden soup, made from her vegetables; lamb with a mixture of root vegetables, broccoli and carrots with a cheese sauce and ginger sauce, respectively; and for dessert a Pavlova, sort of like a meringue with fresh fruit and fruit compote. It was all so good! Webb, if you are reading this, the dessert was like what we made for your dinner (FYI, the cream was supposed to be plain, no sugar, oh well...). We talked after dinner for about an hour over chocolate and tea and then she took me back to my hotel to pack up.

September 27, a Wednesday, was nothing special. I boarded a plane again and went to Queenstown, the adventure place. Don't worry mom, I didn't do anything. I didn't have the time. The only exciting thing I did today was go out to dinner, The Boardwalk. It was fantastic. I treated myself to crayfish (aka spiny lobster) and seafood chowder. It was all so good, then home to sleep for tomorrow's adventure.

Today was Milford Sound. I don't know if it was all it is cracked up to be. Granted we had bad weather, but also we spent more time in the bus to get there instead of on the boat enjoying what we paid for. It took a total of EIGHT hours to get to Milford Sound, four there and four back. We only spent like tow hours on the boat to see the sights. A sight, I thought we could see from where we were staying, just by walking around the lake, part of the 52 miles of shoreline. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing to see, just not 8 hours in a coach to see. I could have done with the day to myself and going to see other sites or sky diving. You live you learn.

Finally, today (September 29) I am in Rotorua. It seems amazing. I am writing now and about to get something to eat. I just wanted to catch ya'll up.

New Zealand is an amazing country, filled with natural beauty. I would love to live here, if not only because New Zealand does not have any snakes! Nothing deadly, except for a spider, which if bitten....nothing serious will happen to you. I would love to spend time wandering aimlessly around the quaint towns and wondering in and out of churches...built when this country began. It has wonderful gardens, miles of track and just beauty. The scenery, the sky, the water, the views - you need to come to see it for yourself. It sort of reminds me or Ireland, the unspoiled beauty of it all...breath taking!

My trip is almost over, only two more tours and then off to school. Alot has changed just in this time, but my time in Australia and in New Zealand has been short. If anyone should ever want to come to either one of these places, please let me know! I will come with you. Also, if you come, don't do a tour - they suck, well most of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a peice of work!! I love reading your Blog. Mary Alice just showed up (for the dinner) and she is the one that got me to your blog. For some reason, I couldnt pull you up. Surprised> :)
Have fun! Momma