Tuesday, September 19, 2006

September 19th:

Well hello everyone, I apologize for my absence. Timing has not been in my favor. I have been up early and to bed late, so there has been no time to write on my blog. But right now I am going to play catch up

The last time I wrote I was in Sydney. Since then I have moved on to Melbourne, Kangaroo Island and finally to Adelaide. It was has been a crazy ride, with lots to do and lots to see.

On September 15th, I left Sydney to travel to Melbourne, at 7:30 in the morning. I got in around noon, where I had just enough time to get some lunch and go on a tour, Dandenongs Ranges. Again, it was a quick tour around the city and then travel to the mountains, where we had Aussie Tucker and Billy Tea. It was quite interesting. I drank tea, tried lamingtons and the renowned Vegemite. For those of you who do not know what vegemite is, it is concentrated brewers yeast. The sole purpose of this is to be spread on biscuits (what we call crackers) and consumed. It is an acquired taste, one that I do not know if I have or not, it is still up for debate! Anyways, the tour, I could have done without. There was nothing special to see. I think my time would have been better spent if I was able to venture out in the city and explore for myself. Oh well, you live you learn, plus everything is already set out for me, so no choice!

After the tour, I was dropped with a few other people to the Tramcar Restaurant. This was a real treat. There are three cars, working cars on the railroad tracks. The car is divided into two sections. The first section (where I was) holds 12 people and the next section holds 24. It was fantastic! We had champagne, then a choice of red or white wine or a selection of liquor or just soft drinks. The tables had white linen and set with a carnation, which we got to keep when we left. On the table there was preset pate and red pepper spread with two different kinds of crackers. For dinner we had a choice between two entrees, chicken or beef, of course I choose the beef. Then two desserts, chocolate or a mousse. I choose the chocolate. Dinner was great, the chicken and the beef being cooked in a special designed microwave - so cool! It was quite an experience!

After dinner I went back to the hotel and just rested, going to bed by about 9, very nice!

The next day, September 16, was pretty much a waste, in my mind. It was about 13 hours in a bus. It reminded my of the college trip I took when I was in high school. I was picked up before 8 from my hotel and began the long trip along the Great Ocean Road Adventure. For the first half of the trip I had two seats to myself, but after lunch I had another woman join me, Why did I get crapped out of a seat!?! So unfair, oh well....just no sleeping the second half. It really was not what I thought it would be. There was a lot of winding through the hills, making my alittle sick and remembering the times we had through the hills on the college trip, I just missed my friends and being dressed up for hours! However, I did sit in the back for old times sake!

On the trip I did realize that I should spoil myself and I did just that! When I was on my trip to Ireland with my friend Melinda, I looked over while she was writing. She was updating her List of Things To Do Before She Dies - we all have one, but I did not. So we sat and made a list for me, with her help. Two of my things to do, I can now cross off my list - going to Australia and going in a helicopter. I spoiled myself by paying for a 15 minute helicopter ride above the 12 Apostles. It was amazing to do! I wish I did it longer and went to see more things, but that will be for next time!

After the helicopter ride we went to see Port Campbell - where a reef has claimed over 50 ships and numerous lives. This place has amazing cliffs and views and a strong history. It was amazing to see Razorback and Island Arch. However, these two sites took up about one hour of the 13 hour day. For those who are coming, rent a car and drive it yourself.

The next two days and one night were simply unforgettable! It was amazing! I had a 5:40 am pick-up from my hotel to go to the airport. Where I would arrive in Adelaide to catch another flight to go to Kangaroo Island. However, easier said than done. I was not suppose to leave until night, the plans had changed, I was not informed. But everything worked out for me! The people in the airport were so nice and helped me arrange everything. I was able to catch a plane at 9:25 and leave for the island and begin my adventure.

I was meet when I arrived and traveled with a tour guide (Phil) and two other couples around the western end of the island. We stopped for coffee at Vivione Bay and then went on to Flinders Chase National Park. He showed us a golf course - Daniel you would love, I took a picture of it for you, brown grass, rocks/pebbles for sand and only a dollar to play (that's about 83 cents!). Once in the park we saw a vast forest of trees, ranging from 20 feet inland to 3 feet by the sea. We went to a rock formation which was just breath taking - pictures to come later - Eagle's Beak. Hundreds of years of sea, wind and climate forming these magnificence rocks. Then we journeyed to Cape du Couedic to see a colony of fur seals - so special!

For lunch we went to the storage house for the three families who kept the light house going in the 1900's. It was amazing! Ships, every 3 months hopefully, would stop in the cape too unload the families food for themselves and their horses and so on. A horse and crane would slowly bring up their load many meters above sea level. We feasted on red wine, chicken, salad and 3 different cheeses, all from the island and then dried fruit for dessert. Then we continued our touring. We were able to walk among the kangaroos feeding in a grassy knoll and see joey's popping our from their mother's pouch - the sight was truly amazing.

Around 6:30 I was taken to my B & B, with another woman. We ate dinner at 7, which was celery soup, lamb and chocolate cake - the cook was the best on the island - and it was so good! Then we drank tea/coffee and talked with the owners for two hours about being a travel agent (what the woman did). It was so boring. All I wanted to do was take a shower and go to bed, this happened around 9:30. The day was over, finally, but it was the best day I have had thus far.

The next day, September 18th, was just as pleasant. I went to breakfast at 8, eggs Florentine, pancakes, fruit, cereal, coffee and compotes. It was all so good. Then off the airport to pick up more passengers, a German couple, and on to my second day on the island. Today we ventured south to see a colony of sea lions bathing on the beach, nursing their young and males picking fights. It was truly a sight to be able to walk right beside them! Then we had tea and ventured through the middle of the island, looking for koalas and kangaroos resting among the trees. Slowly we made our way to our lunch site were we had fresh fish grilled with potatoes right in front of our eyes and a big salad. This was followed by fresh fruit and wine. Then we went on a walk to see more kangaroos, wallabies, cockatoos and other various animals native to the island. It was unbelievable! We went to different bays all along the coastline, but we ended up at our tours house to see a joey. They were raising the baby kangaroo because someone ran over their mother. Kangaroos are as common to them as dogs are to us, as pets and seen on the side of the road. I got to hold the joey and see it jump around and go head first into a "pouch". It was so cool! I want one!!!!

That was the last stop before the airport and on my way to the main island, once again. I got to my hotel around 9, ate dinner and went to sleep. A very pleasant day!

Finally today, September 19th. Today was also a good day. I went to the Barossa Valley to taste wines and go on tours. It was amazing. Australia is supposed to have the oldest Shiraz vines here, about 160 years old. I got to taste this smooth tasting wine. It was beyond words, so smooth, so velvety, robust but not too much, just so good. There are no words. We went to several vineyards around the valley, tasting our way through. We stopped at a candy/dried fruit store and got a few goodies and then continued on. We went to a sweet bakery, where I got dinner, pastie (a savory pastry filled with meet, potatoes and carrots, which I will be eating shortly) and stopped to have a coffee. I got hot chocolate. Then we began to make our way home, around 6.

So now I am sitting at a computer in my hotel writing all of this to ya'll. Tomorrow I leave for Ayer's Rock, where I am to have another tour on a bus (I hope it is not a waste), so stay tuned to find out.

ps - daddy the toilets flush unusually. There are two handles, one with a half moon and the other with a full moon. I think this is to tell if it needs a full flush or not....anyone who has been here, can you clue me in?

Also, hooray for the tigers! I wish I was able to see it, but the timing is so bad, plus, internet cafes are not open at that hour!

Hope everyone is doing well! I'll try calling soon, love

Laura

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lou,
I'd find out how those flushers work REAL SOON.
It was great to hear from you! I hope you have gotten lots of pictures of the "joeys."
Love you, Mom