Saturday, March 31, 2007

Once again, the end of a week had come to classes. It is a blessing; it means I can sleep and recuperate from waking up at 7:30 every morning. This past week, the first week of class, has been a nice introduction the life of London and how the London LCB runs. People are nice and low key. There is not competition between one another. The students in my group, Group D, show up about 10 minutes early to class, if not 15 minutes. It is just like France, students going up early to get the good spot or steal the equipment. But it is not like that here. People just show up early to get there early. Students take out their knives, scales and other equipment they own. There is plenty of bowls, pots and pan for everyone, since there are only 8 students in Group D. It is a relief. There is not running around like chickens with their heads cut off. If there is running around, it is controlled running around - people just hurrying to get things done. I like not being in a competition to see who finishes first or who out does another.

The past two days were filled with making assortments of chocolate filled truffles. There were many different kinds of truffles - raspberry, soft caramel, orange marzipan, banana, liquor, cherries, and so many more. It was busy, but we all finished on time. We all good reviews and markings from the chef, Chef Julie. She will be my chef for the next two weeks while we work on chocolates. We filled our chocolate boxes we finished on the first day of classes and took the rest of the truffles home, along with out chocolate box.

I brought mine home to my house mother, Mrs. Mary Leen. She loved it and was in awe that I did something like it. It was pretty cool to see what I had created. The two Austria girls staying with her, came down for dinner and liked the box too, but they likes the truffles even more! Chocolate is the way to any woman's heart - remember that boys! It was s good end to the first week of classes. I was happy with my chocolate box.

Other news from London, well nothing really. The weather has been weird, cold one day and hot the other. It has been raining and nasty out, but then beautiful sunny sunshine will fall on you. I was talking with chef and she told me to save all my tourist seeing for April - it would nice and pleasant out by then. I might take her word on that. That way, I can try to get into some kind of routine with sleep and school. I was thinking about getting a job. My best bet would be getting a job in a hotel. I might try. Who knows really.

Oh, exciting news...mom wrote me to tell me I received my certificates from Australia. I did not fail cuisine after all! Now, I just have to wait for the certificates from Paris for cuisine and patisserie. Hopefully soon they will arrive!

I think life in London is going to be good. Graduation from superior patisserie is on June 8th. Anyone want to come? I found out on Friday that last term they graduated a girl who scored the highest in many years on her final. She scored an 89% on her final. That does not do much for my confidence, but it does a world for my competitive streak inside me. I want to beat that and try to do better. So now I have something to strieve for. The only problem is, I have no idea what out final is going to be. And that makes me nervous. But now, I have something to strieve for - a 90% on my final assessment!

No comments: