Monday, March 26, 2007

Who has seen Love Actually? Most of you, right? Well in the beginning Hugh Grant starts off with going to Heathrow Airport to see people who love each other. They are hugging one another and being happy, they miss each other from long absences. When I arrived in Heathrow, I thought I would be able to witness all the love, the hugs and the kisses, but then I remembered, I was coming in with the domestic flights. So sad.

After three months in Paris, I was done with intermediate cuisine and patisserie and on my way home for five days of relaxation and just being in the comforts of my own house. Well, I got to relax, but I was sick. I ran errands and slept as much as I could. My birthday, 23 years old now, was spent with family. It was perfect. The following day I was boarding a plane and going abroad once more to finish my culinary diploma.

My flights were easy. (Note to self, fly on the weekdays, NO ONE flys then, so you are able to have whole rows to yourself!) I tried to sleep on the long flight, but it was hard. I arrived at the Manchester airport and had to go through customs. It was alittle hard, but my bear is still with me! I forgot to print all the documents that tells the customs agents that I am enrolled in school and my housing information. The customs agent was very nice and let me go, just in time. I just made my flight to Heathrow. I went to collect my bags and find a pay phone to call the housing agency. I had a car waiting for me!

I was driven to my house for the next 3 months. I meet my 'house mom'. She is probably in her 60's. She is from Ireland originally and has lived here in London for the past 30 years. She likes to talk, which might cause a problem, but oh well. She likes to cook and she cooks alot of food for dinner! I will not go hungry while I am here. Her food is good. Nothing beats a home cooked meal! She loves tea. She loves watching English soaps - Days is much better Charles!

My room is small. Very small. It is about three twin beds put together. There is a bed, a closet, a chest of drawers, a little bedside table and chair. And yes mom, all my stuff fits. The bed is so comfortable. I love it. Mrs. Mary, the house mother, has never seen anyone sleep as much as I can. She has woken me up twice. I think she finally understands that I like to sleep. It is going to be fine. The house to close to a train station, about a 10 minute walk. I am happy.

I went to orientation on Friday. It was ok. The whole trip, from house to school, takes me about 30 minutes. A 10 minute walk to the train station, a 10 minute train ride and then another 10 or 15 minutes walk to get to school. It isn't bad....just like Paris, except I get to take the train. I am at a good stop, so the train is not too crowded. The walk is nice too. Just pray for not alot of rain while I am here!!

The school is ok. It is better then Australia. It is it's own school. I think in terms of look, the Paris school takes the cake. Orientation goes to London. It was very informative. I was taken for a tour, but it wasn't anything to write home about. I will get a better idea of it when school begins, then I will write more. The school is four stories high. There are 5 kitchens, I think. The set up is like Paris. The patisserie kitchens, 2 of them, have marble tops. The cuisine kitchens do not. I will write more about the school when I get to explore it more.

Bad news: I will be here for 6 months, well 5 1/2 months. They had no room for me in the superior cuisine course. So I have to stay here longer to finish it out. It sucks, but it will be worth it in the long run. I might try to get a part time job, so I can stay busy. I am going to talk with the chefs on Wednesday. I will only be going to school a few days out of the week, not everyday like I was accustomed to. This has it's ups and downs, but whatever. I'll deal with it. Hopefully I will be able to get a job...that will keep me busy. I'll let you know.

Well, this is the only news I have for ya'll. I'll write more when school begins. Until then...take care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear from you.....once again in a new country! You're a piece of work, my girl!
Don't RUSH through this last class....
Enjoy the process!!! This kind of opportunity doesn't come along to many individuals, and YOU have made it happened, so TAKE ADVANTAGE of being in London! It's hard for me to believe that I was there at the same age....after having saved every penny I had earned working for my father. I made the conscious decision to "blow it all" because I didn't know when I would ever return. It was many years before I was back, so I am happy with my decision. HAVE FUN!
I love you very much! Mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura - You are such a trooper! Think of all the moves and adjustments you've made as you've persuded your diploma - my hat's off to you. I am so happy you have found Miss Mary so compatible and are feeling comfotable in your cozy room and her nurturing environment. I was in school in London my junior year and loved it. in the next five 1/2 months you'll not only progress with your culiinary skills but will becoome very failar with that city. Enjoy the old history and the hip new that is London's and go see "The Queen"! You're missed but glad you're having this great professional schooling and wonderful experience. Your blog is really good -
Lots of love, Virginia