Monday, September 17, 2007

Wednesday was my day off. I was actually busy. I got ahead on my school work - cost out my menu. I went into the school to get a few item prices and do a bit of calculations. I was just about done. Now all I had to do was draw a few pictures and assemble my recipes and everything else together! I AM NOT A SLACKER...well anymore. I was ahead of the game.

Thursday was my first workshop. I had no idea what a workshop was, until after the class. Let me explain. Workshop is a time for the students to "play" with unusual ingredients. This is the time for us to "make mistakes" and to learn from the. I was told to make mistakes. That way I would learn. Well it makes sense. There is also an ingredients list in the back of the binder! No idea.
We had 5 hours to make an appetizer and a main dish. I had no idea what to do. So I began to turn some vegetables - giving a vegetable a barrel like shape, with 5 to 8 sides. My appetizer dish was a cold endive salad with sauteed calamari. My entree was a piece of pork seared and finish in the oven with turned carrots and potatoes and sauteed broccoli rabe with squash and onion. It was ok. It definitely was not my finest dish, but yeah.
So now I know. The next workshop I will look at the ingredient list and come prepared. I will think ahead of time and be prepared. I welcome the next workshop with open arms...which is this thursday, the 20th!

Friday was about salad, lobster salad. It went ok. We had a new chef. He first few words were "Welcome to Superior". Did he ever mean it! I need to be more prepared and actually think alittle more about plating. I am really going to try. I want to do well. The lobster was great though!

The weekend was spent in bed. I didn't feel so good, so I just tried to sleep and eat lots of saltines.

Today is my sister's birthday, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUZY-Q!!!!
Today was easy. We had class at noon. It was a seminar. It felt like it lasted for hours, but it was only 2 and 1/2 hours. The chef was given items from the pantry and his task was to make something out of it. A few items he had: peanut butter, cheese whiz, coconut milk, ranch dressing, fresh vegetables, Duncan Hines cake mix, curry paste, canned pears, canned chick peas and a few others things. He made about three dishes. I tried a few, but I don't like coconut or curry paste. Yeah. I did try them, but not so good.

This week is easy going. Only two days of work, two classes each day. It's gonna be easy. I hope. I'll keep ya'll updated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The ingredients sounded like they came out of my pantry......except for the coconut milk. I can't imagine what that creation tasted like, but I'm sure it was wonderful. You ARE at the "creative stage" of your culinary journey through La Cordon Bleu. I think it's going to be the best experience so far!!! You have ALWAYS wanted to do cooking YOUR way, so you will be fine with this challenge. I'm very proud of YOU! You are an AMAZING lady. Keep up the good work. I love you, Mom