Thursday, September 06, 2007

CANADA ROCKS!

Orientation was on Tuesday, the 4th. It was long and very informative. It began at 10am and it lasted until about 2:30pm. It was talk after talk, and then a tour of the school, pictures and the basic students got their uniforms and knife kits. I had to run home to get dressed in uniform and rush back to school in time for my superior orientation at 3:30pm. This orientation was short, only 30 minutes, short and sweet!

Wednesday, class began at noon. It was a seminar about Club Des Amis. This is a membership through the school. Superior students put on a lunch in the 3 star, 5 diamond Signature restaurant. We have about a week and a half to find recipes, cost them out for 25 people and then write out the procedure and such. It’s gonna be great!
Each group consists of three cuisine students and two patisserie students. We each assemble a package of the main and appetizer dish, while the patisserie students assemble a package with two desserts. The chef will then determine which recipes go together and thus our menu is born for the lunch date, on Thursday and Friday. It’s gonna be interesting. No Le Cordon Bleu school has a restaurant at their school. The restaurant is the most unique thing to the Ottawa school.

Thursday was our first demonstration. It went well. Our first lesson was about fish. It was about sushi! Fantastic! There are seven recipes that the chef made. For our practical we will be making five of the dishes. My practical, the time I get to make the dishes, will be tomorrow on Friday. I can’t wait to see who is in my practical. There aren’t many of us in superior. So it won’t be crowed in the kitchen for once!!!

I think this school is going to be great. I think I am going to actually learn something and walk away with something other than just the diploma. This whole experience is going to be different and great. Superior is all about creativeness. You have learned the basics and you have the knowledge to apply skills to the dishes. In superior, you get to play and show the chefs who you are. You get to come out of your shell and develop your own style of cooking. Hopefully I will not be disappointing and show great skill and depth of knowledge of all that is culinary! I will come into my own and begin to define who I am as a chef.

No comments: