Wednesday, September 12, 2007

If culinary school is anything like the real world, then the odds to men and women chefs are not good for women and we still have a LONG way to go. In my practical there are only 2 girls and I am one of them. The other 6 people are boys. Crazy. I hope I prove myself in the kitchen.
Tuesday was about fish. There was a demonstration at noon, a perfect time! It was long and kind of boring, but we got good food after the two and half hours of watching the chef cook. Then there was a break of three hours. I went home to eat lunch and chill out for a bit, taking a little nap. Then back to school by 6:40 to change out and gt ready for my practical...my time to cook.
I was not in the mood to cook fish, much less monkfish! I really just don't like monkfish. When I was in Paris, we had to cook monkfish and it was just gross. The fish it self is not nice looking, pretty ugly and slimy and just not good. You can't do anything to make it taste better, at least, I haven't had anything yet to make me like it! While in Paris, we made a lot of fish dishes. Or maybe, scaling, skinning and filleting fish a few times makes it seem like we did it a lot of times. Regardless, I think I only want to cook fish at home that has been made ready for me or wait until I am with my uncle Randall at his house to go the whole nine yards! But yesterday was about fish. Monkfish.
The practical was long. I served a great pot au feu. The chef said "bon". I hope that means good in his eyes. The other dish of sauteed monkfish was not good. Oh well. In my restaurant I won't be serving monkfish in ANY form. The dish on monday was fish and with the same fish and he said I did great, well "bon". I take that as great.
Today is my day off. I've done work for my Club De Amis. My menu is looking good. I went to talk to a chef today, but he gave me some other ideas. I might rethink my menu, but as now, here it is:
App - pumpkin ravioli with sage butter and roasted pumpkin seeds
Main - Venison accented with gremolata butter with side salad, sauteed green beans and sesame seed tuile.
I think I might need a little more to the dish, but I don't really care. I think the chef wants me to add a sauce, but the gremolata butter I think will do just so. I might rethink it, but I think I am just gonna take a chance. I won't be horribly upset if the chef does not pick my menu....but it would be cool!
Well I better get going and do some work. Lots of costing out to do. By the way, Chef kim, if you are reading this....THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME HOW TO COST THINGS OUT! I actually know what I am doing! It's amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura - It's Laura! It sounds like you're doing great, learning lots, and having a great time. I love your blog. It almost makes me want to cook! Well, it just makes me want to invite you to visit again and cook for me. I hope to see you in New York, can't wait until we go to Tanzania together, and will be honored to travel with such a "world traveler!" Love, Laurie