Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Well...who wants to laugh...at my expense? Thought so.

So I had trouble sleeping last night. I tossed and turned and for the life of my could not fall asleep. The one time you need your chemistry or old English tape to help you nod off, it isn't there! Well...finally around 11am I was able to drift off into slumber land. At 12:30pm, my land lord calls - I need to go pay rent. So I get dressed, still half asleep and walk out the door, with coat, purse and scarf. OOPS! The key is still in the lock INSIDE my apartment. For safety measures I keep one the keys in the lock in my apartment to automatically lock the door when I come in. The other key is on my key chain, so I remember not to lock myself out without a key. Good going Laura! Smart move. So, now actually realizing what I did and coming out of my sleepy stage, I get down on my knees and try with my Swiss Army knife to push the key out of the key hole. You can imagine to my surprise, it did not work. I swallowed hard, part pride and part stupidity and went to hail a taxi to take me to my land lord's.

The land lord was not that helpful. It took me forever to find the damn place...through doors and locks and codes I was never given. Of all the cotton pickin nerve! I paid my rent and they called a lock smith to meet me at my apartment in an hour. Good. Well, again, being the smart one, I did not take the metro. I took a taxi to the Lourve Museum and walked the next couple of miles to my apartment along the beautiful Seine river. The water brings me peace and settles my mind - I think it is the rhythm of the waves crashing into one another. I was feeling better about myself and looking at my watching, running late to meet the lock smith. So I hailed another cab and drove the less then a mile to my apartment to meet the man. He had me in my apartment in no time flat. Amazing what a few pieces of paper (special I am sure and WD 40 will do for you).

So now....many euros short, a little smarter (we hope)and the lock smiths calling card, I am still tired. Today has been so eventful. See what happens when you try to be productive...you lock yourself out of your own place! Oh well, tomorrow will be better....I begin culinary school, again, hopefully the correct way!

I hope you all got a chuckle from my little escapade. I'm sure I will later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie..... I'm afraid I am STILL laughing at you!!!! I have to admit, it could have been ME, but I'm glad it was YOU instead. I feel like one can never have too many keys to one lock....
Have a good nights sleep and I will talk to you soon.
Good luck getting to your class on time!
love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

Laura, this sounds exactly like something that I would have done! I can not tell you how many time I have locked myself out of places!!! Enjoy your time there. France is such a glorious place. What a fantastic experience!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!
Jan