Saturday, January 13, 2007

Well it is the end of another week. It’s had its ups and downs. Waking up by 7 has proven to be difficult. On Friday, I was so tired, I could not get up. I finally got out of the bed by 8 and got myself together and out the door. I had to take a taxi to school. I got there in less than 5 minutes, perfect. The past two classes, we have only had three in all, we have had in patisserie we have made things I have not liked, so I don’t get to bring them home with me. I give them to other people. Hopefully soon we will be making something I like to eat. The patisserie course only meets 20 times in the span of 10 weeks, not the 30 times we meet in Australia.

I am saddened but happy to report that I will be coming home earlier than expected. It is a double edge sword. Instead of coming home in October, I will be coming home sometime in June, the later part. School ends June 1st. I think my mom and Mac are going to come over for my graduation and then we are going to do all the tourist things you are supposed to do in Paris. It’s gonna be great.

My life here is almost the same like it was in Australia. I wake up, get dressed, walk to school, do the school thing, walk back home, eat dinner, and go to sleep. Then repeat the process Monday through Friday, and one more Saturday this week. Since there are a few friends here I will hopefully make myself get out of my apartment and venture out into this wonderful city.

In school I have yet to really learn anything that I cannot pick up in a cook book or just ask someone. I did cook Guinea fowl for the first time a few days ago...it wasn't very good. It needed more taste or more seasoning. We worked with fish yesterday, boy am I getting good at handing fish, deboning it, taking the guts out and poking the eyes out. It's gross, but kind of cool at the same time. Thank you uncle Randall for showing me about fish, it really is helping me.

The one thing I have found to be the same in each school are the chefs and their communication. Perhaps it is unfair for me to say this, with the language barrier, but chefs cannot communicate very well, with each other or with us. For instance, yesterday we made a Jamaica cake. It is layers of sponge cake with two different types of mousse, coconut and mango-passion fruit, surrounded with a layer of sponge. Then topped off with neutral glaze and fruits. The layer of sponge around the cake was supposed to be cut 2/3rds of the way of the cake tin...the sponge cake was not supposed to come to the top of the tin in other words. This was what we were taught in demo, BUT during the practical the chef told me to bring the sponge cake all the way up to the top of the tin. IT WAS WRONG. The worst part of it all, I knew it was wrong. When grading came around, I know he took off for the cake, but he said the glaze was done perfectly.

The lesson of this story is: from now on, I will be doing what I think I should be doing. If I get counted off for that, then so be it. In the real world I will not have a chef to look over my every step, I will have to use my common sense, or of what I have, to do what I think is correct. Why not try it while in culinary school, when I have a chef(s) to look over me and critique me. I rather try to do it my way anyways....I know, I am stubborn, but that's just who I am. I like doing things my way. After all, don't we all!?!

I am sorry to say there isn't really anything to report on. My life is pretty much the same routine over and over each day. School and home, with the occasional stop off at the market to get a few items for dinner. The markets here are unbelievable! There is this one, about half way from my home and school. They sell fresh produce of fruits and vegetables. The produce looks amazing. I brought some apples yesterday, I have yet to try them, but I know they will be so delicious. I'll let you know in the next entry. Until then, a bientot

No comments: