Monday, January 08, 2007

I apologize for such a long absence of writing. Getting back into the swing of things has proven harder than anticipated. The layout of this course is quite different than Australia. Here we go to school just about every day for long periods of time. Instead of going on a specific day for each course and designated time, I am all over the place. In Australia, cuisine demo and practical were on the same day, from Monday until Wednesday from 7:30 until 2:00 and patisserie demo and practical were linked together on Thursday from Saturday from 8 until 2:30. In Paris, I go to school at different times for demo and for practical. I don't have to go to school on Saturday’s like I thought, just twice! I also have one Wednesday off of not classes. However we do have a couple classes at 6:30pm. It would be alright with me, but the next day we have to turn around and be at school for demo or practical by 8:30, which sucks. But I know this is worth it, so it's all good.

I have yet to experience the metro, because I walk to school everyday, a little under 2.5 miles there and back. It takes me about 30 minutes to walk to school - depending on how much I am awake and if it is raining. The walk is beautiful. I pass through a little town with markets and lots of people; it is all hustle and bustle, at certain times. It's great. I think the best part is going to school so early in the morning. For classes at 8:30, I am out of my apartment by 7:30...I have to extra time to change and get ready, we are allowed into the kitchens by 8:15 and you gotta get a good spot. But walking so early in the morning to class you can smell Paris at its best. The bakers have been up for hours and the morning pastries have been cooking in their entire splendor. It is an amazing smell. I pass about three or four bakeries and the smells are good enough to eat. It really is a lovely walk.

The first class in each course was a little nerve racking. I was so nervous the night before. Some chefs refuse to speak English at all, even though they can a little. Others are a little nicer and try. I've meet a few people, who are extremely nice, and they help me out. Actually one woman, Kelly, is from Maryland and she married a man from Birmingham, so we have had a lot to talk about. Class was great, a little rocky at first, but it turned out fine. Cuisine was very rocky...since I showed up 30 minutes late to the demo on Thursday; I missed what to do for the cockerel. The chef had to help me so much. I felt so stupid, but he was nice about it...at least I think so. He spoke in French, so I could not really understand him. The finished dish he was perfect though! In patisserie, the chef was very nice, I really like him. He teaches us demo and is just funny. He can speak English, so it helps me a ton! He would help me and then tell me to smile! I showed him my product and he told me they were perfect. So now I have confidence...I am slowly learning my way around the kitchens and how they do things. The French will come to me, eventually. Some of the students here did not speak French either, but now after doing basic, they can understand and communicate with the chefs and with other people. I am not that worried, but I try to listen and read in French. The recipes are both in French and English. I just keep telling myself I CAN DO THIS. IT will all work out.

I've talked to a few people who know people who have done the externships. They say it is worth it, but only if you get a small restaurant, well of course. That way in a small restaurant you are not stuck doing the dishes all night! However, the chefs have no tolerance for English, only in French. I am not sure if I will be doing an externship here in Paris. Instead, I might try to go to other home culinary schools. I think it would be beneficial. Or I might just be a tourist for a month and go see the sights, take my time in the museums, sit by the river, people watch by Notre Dame. Who knows. If I cannot master French in the next three months, I will not be applying for the externship, my rules. You apply for the externship at the beginning of superior, come middle March. So fingers crossed.

OH, I have forgotten to mention the kitchens. The kitchens are wonderful here. In any kitchen you walk into, there is a long marble table in the center. This is our work bench. Underneath are refrigerators and other various storage spaces for things. Around the work bench are electrical stoves, storage for pots and pans, spices, oil, sinks and convection ovens. It is beautiful. I think of Julia Child and I imagine her where I stand. I can picture her here, working. It is so cool. There are little white windows that look on the street and other homes, it is such an experience.

Well, I think that is all for now. If ya'll have any questions or want to know something, let me know. I'll try to answer it. Au Revoir

PS. Blogger.com has moved my blog from blogger to google. I don't know if this has affected anyone. If it has, I hope you were able to find the blog again with ease. The website said nothing would change. If it is to change, it is for the better. I hope that's true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O.K....I'm sitting here, wanting to fly to Paris tomorrow and walk with you to class early in the morning... I loved your description, Lou. I can't wait for you to meet some of those people you pass regularly.
It sounds as though Paris is much more intense than Australia. You'll master it in time, and then you'll be that much more confident for the rest of your life. I'm proud of ya, girl. You're very inspiring.
Keep up the good attitude and the good work and you'll be fine. Love you dearly, Mom