Monday, October 08, 2007

I forgot to tell ya'll, last Friday, I got interviewed by an Asian magazine from Toronto after Friday's Club des Amis. It was fantastic! The school wants me to write down what I said so they can have it. It's very exciting. I hope they send me a copy! That would be cool.

Anyways, this past week has been good. Monday we made scallops and a endive tatin. My tatin came out perfectly! The tatin was sauteed endive, goat cheese and puff pastry on top. You bake it in the oven and then you flip it out onto the plate. It was so good and I don't even like endive.

Tuesday was another seafood dish with scallops and swordfish. I'm getting kinda sick of seafood, but at least I am getting practice in it. Today's practical was about spices. So I played around with a combination of spices - cumin, cardamom, nutmeg and such. I love the smells. It reminds me of home and Fall. Every Fall, Mom puts a pot on the stove filled with oranges, cinnamon and cloves. The smell rings in the Fall and it is the best smell.

On Wednesday I got to go into the 5 diamond restaurant, Signature. I was there to observe the chefs in action. I arrived by 3:30 and left by 6:30. I arrived and was thrown into the mix. I did prep work, grunt work. I peeled beets, peeled onions, diced mushrooms, died leeks and whatever else they wanted me to do. It was good experience to watch them and just see the restaurant in action. The chefs were so nice. I had fun, even doing the grunt work.

Thursday was a seafood workshop. It was long and boring. The chef made us present our food by 7:30. We began our workshop at 3:30. That is 5 hours to make three dishes. A few of us had nothing to do for about an hour, except to just wait until we could cook to present our food. Luckily, the chef let us present by 7! So we were out by about 9. Long day. It was ok.

This weekend has been ok. I have developed a stye in my right eye, so I have been trying to fix that. Hopefully it will be ok in time for my practical tomorrow at 7. It hurts so much! But I think it is better. Today, Monday, is the Canadian Thanksgiving Day. The family asked me to join them for dinner. It was so sweet. And I must say, I welcomed the invitation. I was craving real home cooked food! Unfortunately there was not enough room at the table, but they brought me a plate of food. It was so sweet. And I cannot thank them enough! What do you know, I will have two thanksgiving meals to make up for last year!

Well this week at school is going to be good. Friday is a practice of our final. We were given last week a list of ingredients and told to make a menu for an appetizer and an main dish. There were four ingredients that we had to use and other ingredients we could choose to use. I think I came up with a good menu. I'll let you know soon. Wish me luck! talk to ya'll later!

No comments: