Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Last week was spent plating desserts. This was helpful since our final assessment in June includes plated desserts. We played with sauces and decorating plates. We began by dividing the recipes into groups. Each group of 2 made two dishes. I made this chocolate thing, chocolate mousse, wrapped in a tempered chocolate bow. It was not that much fun in making. I was also reminded that I hate tempering chocolate.

The plus side of plating desserts was playing with sugar. We made sugar decorations. It was so cool. We piped it, made sugar cages to hold ice cream and sorbets and I made angel hair. We also had a go in making chocolate cigarettes with tempered chocolate - it did not work out so well.

The second day, Thursday, we plated our desserts and began our assessment for the third module. I also got another go with the chocolate cigarettes - it worked out perfectly! I was thrilled. We played with more sugar. I love it.

The last day, Friday, was spent plating our final, bavarian cream with fresh raspberry compote. It was a relaxing day. More sugar and chocolate playing. We even got out early.

The weekend was spent in trying to finalize my final. I think I am almost there. I just need to test a few theories, but I think I am ok with it. My plated dessert is going to be cool.
cocoa jaconde (cake like) wrapped around strawberry bavarian cream with fromage frais
fresh raspberry compote
lemon anglaise
sugar, chocolate and vanilla tuile (cookie like) decorations.
It's going to be awesome! I can't wait to do it and be done with it all. June 6th is coming up.

A friend from home is coming to London with her parents, so that will be a nice break in the middle of May. Then my mother and her friend are coming at the beginning of June. There are many things to look forward to. I am not sure what we are doing this week, but I think we are putting on a tea party. It will be interesting to find out tomorrow at school. Until next time, cheers

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WE CAN'T WAIT TO GET THERE, SO PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE because we are ready for some Patisserie!!!!
Love you, Mom