Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hello Everyone!
I am sorry to report that there is nothing new happening in my life. We have continued to work with sugar. Last week we made fruit shapes. Actually that might be unfair, shapes is a better term. Blown sugar is very hard to do. We first made circles...which I could actually do. Then the chef showed us how to make fruit shapes - a pear and an apple. It looks easy, but trust me, it ain't! I made circles, but the resemble of fruit was not very apparent. I tried. Not many of us could do it. Oh well. I would show you pictures, but I did not take any. They were just too horrible....spheres, I mastered!

This week we have two demonstrations about cake making and decorating. The cake making is not so interesting, but the decorating is so cool. I stayed three more hours after the demo ended to help and watch the chef make all kinds of flowers out of gum paste. It was so cool. She made roses and jasmine and leaves, oh my. It was really cool to watch, making flowers and a gazebo.

Wednesday is our five hour sugar assessment. We have 5 hours to make a sugar show piece, an apple or pear, pull a rose with leaves and pull a ribbon. I hope my hands can make it through 5 hours of handling hot sugar!

Tomorrow I will be seeing familiar faces from home, the Cannon Family. I can't wait! We are going to go out to dinner and it will be a nice release from the everyday routine. I'll report back after my sugar assessment, hopefully with pictures!

No comments: