Saturday, April 14, 2007

I AM DONE WITH CHOCOLATE UNTIL MY FINAL IN JUNE!!!!!!!!!!

Superior patisserie is what I thought culinary school should be like. Tons of time dedicated to one aspect in the pastry field, then moving on to another aspect of the culinary field. This is how it should be. (Plus, in the beginning people should learn the basics. I guess we did that in Basic, but intermediate was kind of a waste, it you ask me. And if you didn't ask me, tough.)

The chocolate module ended on friday. We completed our huge class masterpiece and it was amazing! Then on thursday and friday we had our assessment. On the first day we tempered chocolate, cut out pieces for a windmill and made molded chocolates. On friday, we tempered chocolate, assembled the windmill and unmolded our molded chocolates. It went ok.

We also had a new chef who came in to grade us. His name is chef Pascal. He is from France originally. He seems great. He did not teach us, only watched and took notes. Then he played with chocolate while we did our assembly of a windmill. I have been told he is quite and is true. But I am sure I will be taught by him soon.

Our next module, I over heard was bread. This is only for a week with two times going to school for about 6 hours each. We are making tons of different types of bread - baguettes, savory and sweet breads and a curry bread - interesting. I love making bread. I just wonder if we will be making it by hand or using a machine.

We got our papers for the final, in June. We have to make 5 different things. A brioche a tete - a bigger size of a regular brioche and they gave us the recipe; molded chocolates - truffles - again, they gave us the recipe; a type of cookie called sable holandaise - two flavors molded together in a pattern, cut and baked - again, they gave us a recipe; a sugar piece and finally two identical plated desserts. They did not give us the recipes for the last two. We have total of 25 ingredients and we get bonus points if we use them all, if we don't, we get points taken off. I have managed to use everything except a few items, so I am trying to rethink my plated dessert. I have alittle over a month to decide what I want to do, draw up a time line, recipes and gather information before I have turn in my proposal of my final, by May 25th at 5pm. So I have been busy working on that.

Other then that, nothing is really going on. The two girls that were staying at the house left on thursday. I have the house to myself again. But this bliss will only last for alittle bit. In a week or so another person is coming from Austria for alittle bit. Things are going...3 weeks have passed. Well I better get going, I'll be writing more later, ta

No comments: