Sunday, October 04, 2009

It is hard to think it has been a week since I have last written and that I have spent a week in this beautiful city called Seattle, Washington! The last time I left you, I was wrapping up my stay in Portland, Oregon with a high school friend, Amanda. The morning was spent having a leisurely breakfast and then a lesson in felting. It was really fun. Felting is not hard to do, but very time consuming. Ebeth and I helped Amanda make earrings. Amanda is showcasing her artwork in a crafts show in Birmingham, Alabama. If you want learn about it, research it yourself. It is too long to explain on this particular blog. So between felting and getting ourselves packed and ready to go, we said good-bye to our friend Amanda and got on the road by early afternoon.

We left the state that requires someone to pump your gas for you for a state that allows you to pump your own gas! In the fair state of Oregon, it is required to allow the attendant to pump your gas for you. You are not allowed. If you do, you will get yelled at. So lesson of this story, don’t pump your own gas in the state of Oregon. By about 6 pm we were at the house of Beth and Cindy. We settled in and got some grub. Ebeth and I shared a room down in the basement. It is very cozy. Two twin beds, in a dark room, with one window and slightly cold – which equals perfect sleeping conditions. Laura was very happy.

The next day and a half was spent on a whirlwind tour of Seattle. In the morning, we got some breakfast while the kids were leaving for school. Ebeth and I were ready to go with Cindy on the bus downtown, to explore the city by 9:30am. Cindy showed us where Pike Place Market was and pointed out a few places to check out. Reluctantly she had to leave for work, leaving Ebeth and I free to explore the city’s charm. We spent about an hour in the market. I got a brief overview of where I would come back to and explore. The market was so cool! We saw so much stuff. We made one stop at one of the many fishmongers. Here a boy named Scott worked, a friend of friends from Colorado College. We got to try a few items and I even got to hold a frozen fish! It was pretty cool. We moved on and walked through Pioneer Square (the oldest part of Seattle) to get to the ferries! We took a ferry to Bainbridge. It was about a 30 minute ferry ride with amazing breath-taking views of mountains (mount Rainer). We got off the ferry and took a stroll through town. I was in dire need of caffeine, so we stopped at a darling bakery, Black Bird Bakery, for coffee and something sweet. Once I was caffeine up, we walked around a bit and then had to sprint to make the ferry departing for Seattle. It was a close call, but we made it. Our ferry mission was complete. Next mission: to find bimbo’s bitchin’ burrito kitchen. We walked, got a bus and found the spot, only to be dismayed. The whole block was bulldozed over, leaving nothing standing. Our lunch spot was nonexistent. So a little hungry, we began to walk back down to the main street. We stopped at an Asian eatery to satisfy Ebeth’s need for food. It was getting late and we had to make a stop at the grocery store, I was making dinner for the family. We decided to call it a day and catch a bus back up to Ballard (the in city neighborhood Beth and Cindy live in). Tonight’s meal: turkey chili.
1 pound ground turkey
1onion
2 celery
2 carrots
1can beans
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
Salt and pepper
Red wine
Olive oil
Garnish: sour cream, fritos, green onion, cheese
Method:
In a large pot, brown turkey in a bit of olive oil. Add vegetables and sauté for about 5 minutes. Stir about 1/3 c. of red wine or other type of liquid to the pot. This gets all the bits up from the bottom of your pan. Add beans and tomato sauce. Add whole tomatoes, but squeeze the tomatoes in your hand. Season with salt and pepper and cook on low, if you have the time, the longer your cook this the better it will taste. If you are short on time, you can crank the heat up to meld the flavors.

Saturday was a great, sunny day. Ebeth and I went to Elliott’s soccer game. Imagine six little boys running around on the field all trying to kick the soccer ball and then every once in awhile, a goalie would appear in the middle of the game, when he should be guarding the goal. The boys just want to kick the ball and score! Some boys showed a real passion for the game, some fancy foot work and control over the ball. It was impressive. After the game, Elliot’s team won (but they aren’t supposed to keep score), we all left. Ebeth went to hike in a near-by park and I hung out with everyone. By about 5pm, I drove Ebeth to the airport. She was catching a plane to see her boyfriend of three years in Los Angeles. I refer to him as ‘the boy’, but his real name is Jim and I will soon be able to finally meet him. I went back to eat some dinner and hang out with the family – a very relaxing day!

This past week has been just delightful. I have had numerous times to explore Pike’s Place Market and loved every minute of it. I have cooked a few dinners for the family and just hung out. Thursday, I went out to Redmond (a suburb of Seattle) to see some horse friends, Dick and Martha. I got to ride Martha’s gaited horse, five gaited, it WAS SO COOL! I have not ridden a gaited horse since my last horse show in July 2002. That is over 7 years! I would be sore the next day, and I was. When I got on the horse, I forgot how to breathe while riding. On my first pass, my stir-ups were too long; I was kind of a mess. But I got my stir-ups shortened and I was ready to go! I trotted, slow gait and racked the horse, both ways. I forgot what it feels like to be on something so powerful. It was such a wonderful rush. I remember why I love riding and why I don’t ride anymore – it is a riding bug, once you begin it, it is hard to stop. If you decide to stop, stop cold turkey or you will always be inching back into the saddle to show! I have to stop cold turkey, again. Damn. It was a great day, not just riding, but catching up with old friends.

For you who have not had the chance to explore Pike’s Place Market, I strongly suggest you go as soon as possible. This was one of my highlights of my whole trip! And it did not fail me. There are stalls crowding this stretch of prized real estate. The market over looks Elliot Bay and houses so many craftsmen, not just in pottery or painting, but food. This is a public farmer’s market opened year round and it is just amazing. Food stalls sell the usual fruit: apples, plums, oranges, blood oranges, tomatoes; and other items such as green beans, snow peas, celeriac, freshly foraged mushrooms and the list goes on. There are a few stalls of fishmongers. They continually shout and ask people if they need help to find something, more specifically to buy their fish. It is such a people watching place as well. AMAZING, if I have not mentioned it yet. I wish I could go into more detail, but I think you will have to come visit yourself. There is something for everyone in this haven of living.

Life in the Armitage/Larison house is pretty normal, as normal as it can be with two little kids. Do you know how much kids eat? The kitchen is cleaned up from one meal and destroyed in half a second, because you are eating again. Who knew? I guess parents of children. Beth and Cindy welcomed a new member to their family, about a month ago. His name is Buddy, a dog from Georgia. Beth’s sister, Alice, had ‘adopted’ this dog and was taking care of him. When Beth and Cindy decided to care for the dog, her brother Paul and girlfriend Sherri packed up the dog and brought him to his new home. Buddy is already a fixture in this household. Ruby, the youngest, absolutely adores the dog, hugging and kissing on him at all times. In the morning and night, especially bedtime for the children, Buddy seems to be possessed. He runs suicides among the chaos of getting ready for school and getting ready for bedtime. He likes to chew on his chew toys, but not as much as on your hands or Achilles’ tendon. In the morning, you can lie awake (though I have not) and hear the running of little feet, courtesy of Ruby and Elliott and right behind those beautiful little thumps comes a much greater sound of Buddy’s dragging paws. It is sounds like those that I will miss – honestly.

My time in Seattle has been amazing, but I must continue on my long journey home. Tomorrow I leave for Portland and once again visit the wonderful Amanda in her new hometown. She has made a request of chicken and dumplings. And maybe a dessert will be thrown in. Stay tuned for continuous driving road trip of the United States…

Here is a recipe of chicken soup I made the last night in Seattle. It was a big dinner. For dessert Ruby and I made pain au chocolate – her favorite pastry. We made some pastry filled with butterscotch chips for Elliott, he does not like chocolate! Weird! Hope you enjoy this fall weather soup!!
1 store brought chicken, cut into bit size pieces
2 carrots, small diced
1 celery, small diced
1 onion,small diced
1 can beans, lightly drained
2 big containers of chicken stock
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
White wine
Green beans (optional)
Method:
In a large pot, sauté all the vegetables in one tablespoon of olive oil, adding salt and pepper, about 5 minutes on medium high. Add white wine or some kind of liquid, about ¼ c., and stir to get all the bits up from the bottom. Add beans, green beans and chicken pieces. Add stock. Stir and cook for 20 minutes uncovered at a medium heat. Taste and season if you need. Serve with cheese toast or crackers.

No comments: